After two years of reporting on cannabis legalization in Canada, The Leaf News is closing down.
We launched this website in November 2017 with a mission to provide original, accurate and enlightening cannabis journalism to Canadians who were interested in learning about legalization beyond stock market hype.
Two years later, business considerations mean it's time to move on.
Our sole reporter, Solomon Israel, will continue on reporting for our parent organization, the Winnipeg Free Press, where he'll keep covering legal cannabis news as it relates to Manitoba.
Our thanks go out to all the readers who supported our work.
We're especially grateful to every cannabis user, grower, advocate, academic, scientist, lawyer, doctor, businessperson and government official who granted us an interview over the past two years and helped us inform Canadians about cannabis legalization.
Thanks also to everyone who asked questions of our cannabis advice columnist Dear Herb.
As we sign off, we'd like to highlight a few of our favourite Leaf articles from the past two years (they're still worth reading!)
Greatest hits, pre-legalization:
- Phantom enemy from November 2017: Is the black market for cannabis really controlled by organized crime?
- Compound interest from November 2017: An interview with Raphael Mechoulam, the chemist famous for identifying the chemical structure of THC.
- The Order of Cannabis from January 2018: An interview with Ernest Small, the Canadian government cannabis researcher who created the 0.3% THC threshold that divides "drug-type" marijuana from hemp.
- Getting into the weeds from February 2018: The inside story of how Canada's Senate spent its time considering cannabis legalization.
- Medicine or myth? from March 2018: Hundreds of thousands of Canadians use cannabis for medical purposes, but Canada's medical establishment is skeptical. Why?
- 'Twas the Twentieth of April (A 4/20 Poem) from April 2018: The last 4/20 before legalization found us waxing poetic.
- Cannabis legalization won't let youth off the hook: experts from May 2018: Cannabis legalization eased cannabis-related criminal penalties for youth, but provincial offences for youth cannabis possession complicate matters.
- Crafting confusion from June 2018: What does the marketing buzzword "craft cannabis" actually mean?
- Have you heard that CBD is 'non-psychoactive'? It's not true from July 2018: "Non-intoxicating" would be more accurate.
- Is your weed legal, or illegal? After legalization, police might want to know from July 2018: A pre-legalization primer on illicit cannabis.
- Crossing the line from August 2018: A feature-length look at why Canadians get banned from the U.S. for past cannabis use.
- Calgary officials inspect personal medical cannabis gardens for safety hazards from September 2018: How one Canadian municipality regulates licensed personal medical cannabis gardens.
Greatest hits, post-legalization:
- How to read the label on your legal cannabis from October 2018: A user's guide for legal cannabis packaging.
- Sativa and indica cannabis: What's the difference, really? from November 2018: Trimming through the hype on the two purported "species" of cannabis.
- Winnipeg cannabis company sold illegal weed in Saskatchewan: source from December 2018: We were the first media outlet to break the Bonify scandal.
- Alberta cannabis stores offering deep discounts, despite supply issues from February 2018: Why cannabis went on sale in the midst of a national supply shortage.
- How do I legally grow cannabis at home? from March 2019: Our popular guide to the laws around home cannabis cultivation in Canada.
- 10-month jail sentence for cannabis crime 'shocking': lawyers from April 2019: The tale of a Manitoba man who got a harsh sentence for a Cannabis Act violation.
- Marijuana minister confident police will address illegal online cannabis dispensaries from April 2019: Federal minister Bill Blair told The Leaf News that cracking down on illegal online cannabis stores falls to local police forces.
- Canada's cannabis health warning messages get overhaul from June 2019: Not long after legalization, Health Canada updated the mandatory warning messages on weed packaging.
- Kosher Kush cannabis shouldn't be called 'kosher,' rabbis say from July 2019: Oy vey!
- Chronic pain, 'chronic' help July 2019: Older Canadians are turning cannabis to help them manage chronic pain from arthritis and similar conditions.
- Possession pardons beneficial but not perfect, recipient says from October 2019: An interview with a woman who received an expedited pardon for cannabis possession.
- Leaf year from October 2019: Our feature-length look at the past year of legal cannabis in Canada.
- Goodbye, and thanks for all the questions from November 2019: In his final advice column for The Leaf, Herb rounds up answers to your most frequently asked questions and provides resources for information.
Thanks again for reading The Leaf News!
Until the next time Canada legalizes a drug, we remain yours truly,
Solomon Israel, reporter, The Leaf News
Wendy Sawatzky, associate editor, The Leaf News